Yesterday may have been the perfect Autumn day. The sun was peaking through fluffy clouds, the air had just the perfect chill, and the trees seemed to have reached their colorful peak of red, orange and yellow.
A friend and I ventured to the east side of Cleveland to Patterson Fruit Farms to take a walk through the ripe orchards and snag some local fruit. (Because really, what else can you do on the perfect fall afternoon?) As soon as we entered the shop, the sweet aroma of bubbling cider and tart, apple treats met our noses. From that moment, I was ready to start baking myself.
Here’s the recipe for our gluten-free apple crumble.
- ¾ cup crushed almonds
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 8 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Optional: fresh yogurt, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Apple Crumble:
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix crushed almonds, gluten free oats (I used a maple flavored variety), brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in the butter. Use enough butter to so the mixture holds loosely together.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, vanilla, and of cinnamon. Toss to combine.
4. Layer sliced apples in a 9 x 12-inch (or approximately the same size) baking pan. You can also use large ramekins.
5. Sprinkle crumble mixture over apples.
6. Bake 35 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling and apples are tender. (Check after 20-25 minutes.)
7. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Original recipe here
Like what you see? Follow my blog with Bloglovin!
Alternative Eating | Lo Martinez
exploring gluten-free, paleo & clean eating